Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ali's Side of the Story (3rd Letter)



Dear friends,

Recently you heard from Mark and read about his journey in our move to Brazil. This week I (Ali) am taking my turn. As people have become familiar with our upcoming plans, I have had several friends comment to me about “how happy you must be to be going home”…and yes, I am! Although I have always desired to move back home, I would like to share the tension that I have lived in as God has brought me to this point of calling.

In my time here in the US I have lived through an incredible array and depth of experiences: I have encountered a church family that adopted me fresh off the Brazil boat and fell in love with my country; I have studied at an amazing University and earned a degree under professors who exemplified to me a life of Godly wisdom and charisma; at school I formed friendships with wonderful men and women of God whom have many times been His presence and comfort in my life; I have had the chance to travel and study in Europe and fall in love with the cultures and people of far lands; I have met and married my favorite person; I have moved cross country to – hands down – the coldest place I will ever settle, and here have fallen in love with my Kaiser side, who carried me through my first depressing northern winter; I have also fallen in love with Buckeye football and fans; I have watched as Mark and I minister together to a youth group who has forever changed my life.

And after living through seven full American years, I have occasionally hesitantly stripped down to blunt honesty and asked myself “is Brazil home anymore?” and “why should I go back”? But the wrestling match seems to only last as long as I allow myself to question God and His passion in my heart for ministry to people. So when I am still and my hip has been wrenched (Genesis 32), I am convicted that there is great purpose for us in Brazil.

For those of you who have been to Brazil with me, I hope you can attest to this: there is something deep in my core that resonates beautifully with my culture and my people. There is an easiness to connect and minister to the lost and to the found in my own language and expressions and climate =) .

And how humbling to be invited back by my very own home church! These friends, whom have become family, have seen me through most of my journey to this point (the good, the bad and the ugly) and have recognized in me a God given passion to minister and serve. Either that or I have been redeemed since they met Mark.

So please know that moving home does not mean choosing the path of least resistance in my life. It means following a passion and calling that I will not choose to ignore.

We are very excited about taking up the ministries we have been invited to lead! These include leading the youth group, directing a ministry for young married couples, establishing an internship program, and a social work ministry that the church would like us to launch to help the unemployed in the community.

I have always loved working with youth. The years in which kids establish their own identities are incredibly crucial for developing a relationship with Christ. This importance is heightened in the Itu church where many of the high school members are the first Christians in their families. Many times it is through their faith that their families are reached.

Also we will be establishing an internship program for high school graduates and college students to come and work for the church. We will also host short term mission campaigns, an opportunity for your family. Mark’s life was changed forever when he took a year off before college and served the Lord in Nepal. Our internship program will offer a similar but more structured opportunity for young adults kids to get hands on experience in ministry. We know the church will be blessed by the work of those who come to serve, and our interns and short term campaigners will experience the power of being used by God to share His good news!

You have heard our stories now. However, do not just read our letters! We are holding many home gathering where we will be sharing our hearts, ministry opportunities, and transition needs more intimately. We will need the help of those who would like to partner with us in prayer and finances to make this all happen. Please call us for directions to any of the gatherings, or to set one up that works for you. We look forward to seeing you soon.

God Bless,






Mark & Ali Kaiser

(614) 589-0709

mk.kaiser@gmail.com

markandali.blogspot.com

9006 Lake Ridge Dr

Lewis Center, OH 43035


Upcoming Gatherings

Bill & Janine Ganger

Dublin, OH

May 21st

David & Kelly Kaiser

Toledo, OH

May 22nd

Jim & Kim Haring

(614) 538-8201

Columbus, OH

May 23rd

Mike & Marcie Gauch

Columbus, OH

June

Dave & Sue Rule

Dublin, OH

TBA

David & Mitzi Adams

Abilene, TX

TBA

Ed & Marcia Alred

Abilene, TX

TBA

Shane & Karen Smith

Belton, TX

TBA


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey can you get on our blog or is it still blocking you?

Mark and Ali said...

Hi guys! I can get on again now, thanks for resending the invite!