Sunday, November 4, 2007

In loving memory,

Yesterday evening I returned to Itu from having helped lead a weekend camp that was held in an orphanage about 30 minutes away from here. It was a very rewarding time, and I intend to write more about it in the future.

After arriving home I found out that shortly before I left my grandmother, Doris Kaiser, had passed on to be with the Lord. The last year has been very hard on her. During a hospital stay in August she told me, 'Don't worry about me, I am ready to go home'. For the first time since then, she is comfortable. Without question she is better off, but is never easy to bid someone you love her final farewell.

I love my Gramma, and am thankful to have been a part of the life she lived. Below is a note I wrote for her funeral, which will be held today.



Life is all about people and relationships, so it is hard to say goodbye to such a great person as gramma, even though the hard loss is mixed with joy. My gramma has spent a full lifetime serving those around her, and serving her Savior. It is hard on my heart to realize that my time on earth with gramma is over, but it's a joy to know that she is living in the reward that she has been looking forward to for so long!

Paying final respects to someone you love is tuff. There are many things I would love to thank her for. She was one of the most servant-hearted people I have ever known, and she shared her faith with genuine concern and regularity where ever she was.

My gramma was a wonderful caretaker. Over the last decade she cared for and blessed grampa until the end of his time with total disregard for her own interests. She exemplified 'dying to self' and 'loving others as Christ loved us' with a beautiful spirit of kindness. Her departure is very impacting because of this love that she shared so freely.

Gramma's nursing home was the last stop I made before the airport when I moved to Brazil in September. I feel lucky to have had that time to say 'Goodbye'. I will miss her. No doubt she is in a better place now and I am happy for her. I also have confidence that she has received her welcome, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant', and to that I pray that Jesus would pass on my "Amen".

4 comments:

Maria said...

Eu sinto por voce Mark. Sei como e dificil... Abracos fortes!

JG said...

Mark, we're so sorry to hear about your grandmother. We pray for peace for your family and for you as you are far away from them.

Love, Jonathan, Jessica and Simone

Anonymous said...

Hey we are praying for yall through this.
We love you!

Unknown said...

Hi Mark, that is the most precious picture that you put on your blog. thank you very very much for doing that. and thank you so very very much for that precious tribute you wrote Grandma, that was perfect. thank you for your kindness God did a masterpiece when He made you. all those people in your new life are very blessed by God - i hope they realize what a gift He gave them. we miss you and Ali more than you can know. but we want Gods' will for your life to be realized. we love both of you and we thank God for putting you in our family. dad