Tuesday, March 31, 2009

celebrating mark's life




it'sbeen a couple of weeks now, but mark turned 28. wow. 28. carla claims mark is finally catching up to her age (carla is the older sister). ha!

mark is 1 year older than me. the main advantage to this is that he gets the shocking high age a whole year before i do -- so when it's HIS bday we are stunned at how "old" we are getting, but by the time January roles around, we are used to the number. he does not think it's as good of a deal. 


mark and i had a very hard week preceding his bday. just lots of difficult situations and conflict. 
so i planned a great celebration: i packed his bag, cancelled his appointments for the next 2 days, rented a couple of really GUY movies, and we headed off after church on Sunday. he had no idea where we were going. 

anyone who knows me knows that i am TERRIBLE with surprises! i LOVE to be surprised, but i am bad at holding it in, bc i know the person will be so happy! guys -- i actually was able to keep it a secret until after we got in the car! victory for ali!

well, i took mark to the beautiful b&b where we spent our honeymoon...almost 5 years ago!
it was such a fun getaway! it's on the beach, so we enjoyed the warm days in the water, ate lots, slept in, and watched movies in the afternoon. 






every day i am reminded of how blesses i am to have Mark walking thru life with me. 
he has been my best friend, my favorite story-teller, my favorite running partner, my favorite road trip buddy...my favorite companion in ANYTHING and ANYWHERE for almost 8 years now. 
mark's wisdom and kindness has changed my life and taught me to serve from the heart. 

you have also been a big influence on who mark is/becoming. 
i thank you for the love you have given him.







ali

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Happy Birthday Mark! I'm glad yall could get away for a few days!!!

JG said...

Happy birthday, Mark! I'm going to download skype so that we can talk to you guys soon! Love you both!

Jess

Kim Haring said...

What a great surprise. Sounds like a birthday that will go down in history. Love, love, love you both! Happy 28th year Mark. You're amazing.