Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Monday morning I met with my friend Vitor Hugo for breakfast. We meet every Monday to start the week off right and chat before he heads off to work. A year ago Vitor was in the drug rehab program I work with in Indiatuba. In fact, this picture shows him giving his testimony in our church shortly after completing the rehab program. Now Vitor helps run the Celebrate Recovery support group that meets in our church on Tuesdays. Vitor is taking my place as the facilitator of this ministry. I will attend as a supporting member and help him to grow into his new role.

Celebrate Recovery support group is a major highlight of my week. It's one of the truest manifestations of the Church being what it is called to be that I have ever seen, and I loved being the facilitator! But God has been opening my eyes to a major purpose of mine - mentoring. Vitor being the leader makes sense - it is calling on him to grow more, and it is another part of healthy motivation for him to stay clean. It reminds me that God isn't a three steps to success kinda God (this is not a criticism of any program), but that He invites us to a lifetime of growth and development in relationship with Him as sons. This is Vitor's chance to continue in this process.

Being aware that He is developing those around me and enabling them to take my place keeps my role dynamic too. I know that whatever role I play today may well change at His lead tomorrow, but that the constant is my good and trustworthy Leader.

We believe that God is starting something new and wonderful here - a residential rehab program in Itu that will be open to receive the attendees of our homeless lunch. Connections are being made one after the other in a supper-natural way to make this possible. We will be talking with a family soon that has a lot of land and is interested in making a donation to us for this purpose. I don't know the details behind this, but He does. Please pray that God will lead us clearly in whatever steps He would have us to take. Our God is great, may His name be praised forever!

No comments: