Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Vision launched


Sunday I had the chance to share with our church family the plans for the halfway house. And just for a bit of context, Eduardo came!

This year Eduardo went through rehab, was rejected by his family and fell back into drug use and returned to the streets. In the last two weeks he has gotten serious about seeking help again.

Eduardo showed up to church drunk and with a smell that announced his presence way before him. When Antenor went to the front to give an announcement Eduardo shouted out, "Antenor, I'm here! I said I'd come, and I came." If there was anyone in our church who didn't know Eduardo last week, they know him now!

I spoke during the time before the offering with my friend Vitor Hugo. Vitor went through rehab for a crack addiction and is living recovery by God's grace. We spoke to the importance of supporting the rehab ministry as a community of faith, and launched the vision for the purchase of a home to receive our homeless friends post rehab. We showed this photo - and called on our community to invest in the kingdom with us.

After the offering, Antenor reaffirmed the necessity of this movement to establish a halfway house. I felt that God was preparing the way for this vision casting through what was seen, heard, and even smelled on Sunday! We have a creative God who uses the foolish to confound the wise - all part of this great adventure.

On the 17th of this month I will be giving a full report and requesting support from potential partners of this ministry. Between now and then I will be discovering the cost of needed repairs and developing a plan of action for receiving support, operating the house, and so on. Pray me wisdom!

2 comments:

Jeff and Amy McKissick said...

how exciting! praying for you all.

Hill Country Hill Tribers said...

We love you guys and we're praying! Let us know what we can do!

Jess